Cannabis and Depression
Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world. In the U.S. alone, more than 16 million adults experience symptoms of depression every year. Many patients today opt to treat depression with marijuana products.
There are countless depression medications on the market, but people don’t generally associate cannabis and depression treatment. Discover how and why cannabis may help you with your depressive symptoms.
What Is Depression?
Also called clinical depression or major depressive disorder (MDD), depression is a mental health and mood disorder characterized by persistent episodes of sadness, lethargy, and loneliness.
MDD causes people to lose pleasure in their daily lives and can complicate or exacerbate other medical conditions. The good news: depression is often treatable, and – as one of the most common mental illnesses – you don’t have to face your struggles alone.
What Causes Depression?
Physicians have determined various factors that can contribute to the development of depression or the occurrence of a depressive episode.
Some factors include:
- Biological/genetic predisposition
- Medications that cause depressive episodes as a side effect
- Gender and biological sex
- Environmental factors
- Cognitive issues like negative perceptions or low-self esteem
- Hormonal imbalances
- Co-occurrence with other illnesses or disorders
- Traumatic life experiences
Types and Symptoms of Depression
Although Major Depressive Disorder and Persistent Depressive Disorder are the most common forms of depression, other forms of depression include:
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Perinatal depression
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder
- Premenstrual dysmorphic disorder
- Bipolar disorder
Persistent feelings of sadness or despair are the symptoms most commonly associated with depression. However, there are many signs and aspects of the illness to look out for, including:
- Persistent feelings of anxiety or emptiness
- An overwhelming sense of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feeling guilty, worthless, or helpless
- Losing interest in or pleasure from hobbies or activities you’ve previously enjoyed
- Lethargy, fatigue, or feeling “weighed down”
- Chronic restlessness or irritability
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, and making decisions
- Irregular sleep patterns, including insomnia, waking up unusually early and oversleeping
- Rapid changes in appetite or weight
- Suicide ideation or attempts
- Systemic pains, soreness, headaches, cramps, and digestive problems without a clear physical cause
Even with a diagnosis, treating depression can take years before some patients feel progress.
Endocannabinoid Depletion and Depression
Cannabis may seem like an unusual approach to treating depression, but the treatment has science and success stories supporting it.
In 2014, researchers from the University of Buffalo found that depletion of endocannabinoids existed in stress-exposed rats. Although our knowledge about the body’s endocannabinoid system is still growing, findings like this validate the anecdotal evidence from countless patients, advocates, and healthcare professionals about cannabis and depression.
Cannabis has become the therapy of choice for many medical marijuana patients experiencing depression. Marijuana can serve as an alternative to harmful or potentially addictive pharmaceuticals and an integrative therapy for other disorders like anxiety, insomnia, or chronic pain.
Consult Your Doctor and a Cannabis Expert
Consult a healthcare professional about your treatment options if you seek to remedy depression with cannabis or cannabis-infused products.
Then, talk to a budtender about what kind of cannabis dosing experience you’d like. Treating depression with cannabis can provide effects like an elevated mood, feelings of euphoria, increased energy, and increased appetite.
Las Vegas Craft Cannabis Strains
Products at Remedy come in a variety of strains, strengths, and dosing options for patients and everyday consumers alike. If you live in Nevada, here are some Remedy cannabis strains to try for treating depression:
In addition to flower, tinctures, cannabis concentrates, and oil syringes make dosing for therapeutic reasons easier than ever.
Stop by a Dispensary
New to cannabis Remedies? Visit one of our many premium dispensary partners and talk to an expert budtender.
As craft cannabis cultivators, our dedicated team commits to ensuring the Nevada cannabis community has access to quality products. Find a Remedy right for you so you can start on the path of healing.